Thursday, March 7, 2013

Across the Sea

So I know its been a while since my latest blog entry. Sorry about that. To make up for my lapse in entries I'll try to make this a good one. But, I am going to go ahead and put in the disclaimer *Other lapses will occur...hopefully not too often. But they will occur.* It just comes with the territory of living in Africa.

Right now I'm sitting on my porch (obviously I wrote this in the village and am now posting it at the PC office in Kasama), its a sunny day, electronics charging with the solar charger, and impashi taking over my house...again. Got a freshly popped boil under my armpit. Doesn't hurt too bad. There are two neighbor kids coloring in my insaka and another chilling on my porch. Slight breeze in the air and roasted maize in my belly. Life is good. I gave a health talk at the school on handwashing and balancing your diet. I think it went really well. My interpreter didn't show, so the teachers had to take time out of their work to help me with my talk. It worked, but I know they had other things to do.

I am watching the boys color and noticing that they are coloring, colored pencil next to colored pencil, the same picture. I think this image is very representative of the Zambian culture. They are friendly, polite, find joy in the small things. and share with others.

Yesterday was Sunday and I biked to the waterfall by my house. There I enjoyed an afternoon sitting on an old delapitated bridge, dangling my feet in the water, feeling the force of the water as it rushed past my legs, soon to plummet down to the falls below. My friend and I were discussing important details of unimportance about our lives; and foods we miss from America (a common topic amongst Peace Corps Volunteers). Also, I realized that I need to start biking more. Three reasons: 1) it was fun; 2) i really suck at it; and 3) the trip was definitely more exhausting than it should have been.

Other points of interest about my life this year...I just got back from Zanzibar. Went to the Sauti Za Busara music festival. Which I would highly recommend. It was traditional african music from all different countries in Africa. The music was uplifting and spitit filled. And I have never seen a more diverse crowd and commingling. I also have to add that Freddy Mercury (Queen) is from Stone Town.

Here is a list of stuff that I did while on Zanzibar:
1) Beach (I was there for 3 nights and moved into the water for much of that time).
2) Learned a Messai tribal dance (from some Messai tribesmen we met on the roadside. The dance consisted of mostly jumping).
3) Went on a spice tour (ate a free lunch. Score!)
4) Got lost around Stone Town (this was pretty much a constant).
5) Ate some awesome street food (so many flavors and spices...I almost forgot they existed in Zambia).
6) Sauti Za Busara (my spirit was uplifted and I was a dancing fool).

We stayed in Dar Es Salaam for a night. While there we ate at Mamboz corner bbq. The owners were incredibly nice people and the food was great. I highly recommend going there if you ever find yourself hungry and in Dar. Then it was just a 40+ hr train ride back home to Kasama.

Switching subjects completely I just want to let you know that I made it through training in Lusaka sans car accidents. I was happy. Hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment