Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Movin' to the village. Gonna eat a lot of nshima

I have been back in Zambia for a little over a week now and the time has finally come! Moving day is finally here! Tomorrow morning I'll get up, enjoy one more shower, eat some breakfast and hop in the cruiser headed toward Misengo village. Its in the Northern Province of Zambia...very close to Chishimba falls. I can't wait to see my new home and meet my community. This first month will be interesting. I'll have a Peace Corps language instructor in the village with me, teaching Bemba. So we'll see how it goes,. Language isn't my strong point, but I'm pretty motivated. I have a whole community that I want to meet and interact with and the Bemba will be essential to this.  

I've spent most of my time since I've been back in Lusaka, the capitol. Its been fun and a good adjustment from American to Zambian life.  It has many of the luxuries of America, but in a distinctly Zambian way. But the long trip up to Northern Province gave me just a glimpse back into village life. I never grew tired of looking at the thatched huts along the road, of the women washing clothes, and selling tomatoes along the roadside. I am ready to go back to the village. To live the "slow and simple" life. Which surprisingly isn't as simple as it seems. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Heidi, We are so proud of you and amazed at how courageous you are to go on this journey! We can't wait to see your posts and pictures. Stay safe and God bless you as you continue to help others. We know they will love you!

    Hugs,
    Sheila and Jerry from Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! It’s great to get a feel for what your Zambian life is like. I felt like I was traveling with to the Northern Providence…Thank you!

    Safe journeys!
    I love you Sweetie,
    Mom from Hawaii

    ReplyDelete